Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Lancaster Central Market

Every Tuesday, Friday and Saturday they open the doors to the Lancaster Central Market. It's the oldest continual farmers market in the nation. I go every Tuesday and Friday (skip Saturday because of the crowds). I buy all of our meat, cheese, milk, fruits, veggies, etc there. I rarely find myself at the grocery store anymore. Most of the vendors are Yankees, but some are Amish and others are Mennonite. The Amish make donuts and zucchini casserole that are to die for. My favorite apples come from a Mennonite family farm - the biggest Pink Lady apples you ever have seen! The fresh produce and meat is really a luxury and popping over to the little candy shop never hurt anybody!

Here's a sneak peak into the Market. These pictures were taken on a Saturday so the large pan of missing donuts is the norm!

center of downtown

great building

local farmer's produce - best brussle sprouts!

all organic vendor

local tomatoes

just herbs

small local vendor

grass fed beef

Amish casseroles

cheese!

better than Wheat Thins - ask my dad!

chocolate, strawberry, orange and vanilla MILK

best donuts EVER

donuts at 9:32am Saturday - lots missing

new to the market: bacon donuts

a mean cup of coffee

 the spice & tea guy

it wouldn't be PA if there were no pretzel vendor

just candy

 the string licorice is a hit with Miss E & Mr P

flower ladies

our favorite apple spot

just turkey all day every day

such a great place

1 comment:

  1. Such a wonderful market! Amish staples galore. I had a nostalgic moment when you took me there. :) They have a whole section of my favorite UTZ potato chips and snacks from Hanover, PA (not far from Lancaster). I have not ever seen them in AZ...we grew up enjoying the big yellow box of UTZ potato chips in Northern Virginia.

    http://www.utzsnacks.com/

    ReplyDelete