Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Gram

Today is my grandmother's 94th birthday!

I was lucky enough to be able to stop and see her on my trip across country this summer. She's in a care facility and she doesn't remember me anymore. We didn't catch up on old times. I didn't get to tell her all about my life now : Husband, my wedding and my move across country.

That's ok though because I knew how to touch her heart . . . I introduced her to my dog, Penny!

She and Penny hit it off. Gram liked to rub Penny's head and Penny liked to be rubbed on the head.  They were fast friends. It was like the grandmother I knew growing up was there with me, even just for a minute.

I rubbed her back a little and mentioned the words "ice cream" once or twice just to watch her eyes light up. Sure, I wish we could have chatted and caught up on life and gone out for a hot fudge sundae, but an hour with her just petting my dog was what I got. And that was just perfect.

Happy 94th Birthday, Gram!  I hope you get a double scoop of ice cream today!! I love you.





No comments:

Post a Comment