Friday, October 5, 2012

Celebrating Life

Three years ago, my birthday changed forever. One of my favorite people packed her bags and moved to Heaven. She didn't ask me if I minded if she got up and left on my birthday - she just did. At first, I thought, how rude! Today is my day. After many days of tears and a head swirling with memories of a good friend, I determined that I was the one being rude. If anyone on this earth wanted to share this day with me, I would be more than honored that that person be Sr. Peg.

Sr. Peg Dolan had a heart so big you could just crawl in and sit inside. We all did. She would welcome us to. She would laugh with us, cry with us, talk with us, and just be with us. She would even make us coffee cake while we sat in there with her. Her heart was one of my favorite places. It still is.

Sr. Peg and I met when I was in college at Loyola Marymount University. She was the Alumni Chaplin. You'd never know that she worked in the alumni office though, because the woman was everywhere! She was on the patio at lunchtime, she was walking the halls of the dorms, she was at 8:00pm Mass, she was on your retreat, she was at parent's weekend, she was in your classroom giving talks . . . she never stopped. Besides being everywhere, Sr. Peg knew everyone. She knew their name, where they were from, their parent's names, what year they had graduated, who they had married, all their children's names and quite possibly what they were doing at that very second. And everyone knew Sr. Peg.

I have never met someone who brought so much light and life to this world as Sr. Peg. You saw her and you smiled. Her presence brought joy to every individual in the room. I could go on for pages about Sr. Peg, but Fr. Lawton said it best at her funeral mass, "In Peg’s face we saw more than Peg. We saw God."   

So tomorrow, as I celebrate my life on my birthday, I also celebrate Sr. Peg's life; a life full of heart. 

Sr. Peg, 
          Thanks for opening that heart of yours so big that we all could fit in. 
                                                                              XOXO,
                                                                                               Megan



My favorite photo
Sr. Peg, my niece, Ellie & me
LMU Alumni BBQ : 2008
 

1 comment:

  1. To know Sr. Peg was to get a glimpse of God. Surely, she was made in His image and likeness.

    Mr. d

    ReplyDelete