Thursday, November 8, 2012

Aqua Tone

Last week I joined the YMCA. It has a beautiful pool with lots of classes that looked awesome.
Yesterday morning I walked into the pool area to look for my class. I wasn't sure I was in the right place because everyone in the pool, EVERYONE, was 70 years old +. I asked the Lifeguard where the Aqua Tone class was, he pointed to my white-haired friends and said "right here ma'am".

At this point I was already in my swimsuit and all wet because I did as instructed and showered before getting in the pool.

I had no choice, so I hopped in  . . .






I thought the instructor had started class but I couldn't listen when all the ladies around me were talking about their bridge clubs, how they voted, the cold weather, and their kids. I quickly came to realize that Aqua Tone was Senior Social Hour in Your Swimsuit.

I kept trying to follow the instructor and do what 5% of the class was doing but I was easily distracted.

Some of the ladies got a little disgruntled once we got the water weights out. Betty #1 looked over at the clock 15 minutes into class and said, in a very matter of fact tone, "The clock must have stopped running because no way have I only been doing this stuff for 15 minutes". Betty #2 agreed and moaned that the exercises were too hard and the pool was too cold (82 degrees) and she was finished. She walked faster into that locker room than she did any lunges in the pool! Betty #3 complained that the swimmer practicing her freestyle in the lane beside her was getting her hair-do wet every time she swam by. While all of this was going on, the one male in the class was making his rounds around the pool talking up the election results with all the ladies. Meanwhile, I'm still trying to participate but it so hard with all this going on around me.

The lifeguard was laughing at me. I knew it. But I gotta say, I laughed the whole time and I felt really good the rest of the day. I don't know if it was the great exercise routine or that my spirits were high because it's the first time I could do everything the instructor showed me in a gym class twice as fast as everyone else.

But hey, kudos to those ladies for showing up and putting their swim suits on! At 70! That's awesome! I might have to just go back and make sure the Bettys keep their hair from getting splashed during class.





2 comments:

  1. Oh - the pictures make this story. I can't wait to attend in December.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my favorite Meya story thus far!

    ReplyDelete