Wednesday, November 28, 2012

A Pretty Table is a Happy Table

Even though we had the The Great Fall of 2012 we still managed to have a nice Thanksgiving day. We had course throughout the day. We started at 1:00pm with a butternut squash soup and a glass of prosecco. After a nice walk and a glass of wine, we sat down again for a pomegranate, pear and goat cheese salad. We sipped a bit more wine and around 5:00pm we ate the turkey and it's usual sidekicks. We ended the evening with pumpkin and pecan pies that we washed down with a little bourbon.

It was a lovely meal day to share with 3 of my favorite people.

I like to cook but I wouldn't say I LOVE to cook. Thank goodness Mom, even with only one arm, was still around to oversee the handling of the turkey and the making of the gravy. I had done both once before but not for a long time. Needless to say, I needed some coaching from a pro.

What I really LOVE to do is set pretty tables. I think if I could get a job at people's homes just setting their tables; creating something beautiful for families to eat around, I'd be a happy camper. This was our first big holiday in our new house so, I had some fun with our little table for 4.

  • The napkins were a gift from my mom parents that started the whole scheme. Aren't the colors perfect? Very Fall but the hint of blue/aqua makes them so much more interesting and stripes are always a favorite
  • The candlesticks I picked up at one of my favorite little shops in Phoenix and the Juliska vases were a gift from our wedding. 
  • The place cards I found here in Lancaster. They were so beautiful that I didn't want to use pen on them so I could have them forever! 
  • The runner is a beautiful raw silk that my folks gifted us as a thank you. It's texture set off the silver candlesticks and glass vases perfectly.
  • I don't think you can see it in the photos, but each person got a little chocolate at the top of their place for every course!
  • The china is our wedding set. I love how free form all the edges are and the faint color changes throughout the plates and bowls.

It was lots of fun. I can't wait to host another dinner party just so I can set another table!


Oops! I took these pictures before the silverware was set.

Meya's Place

1 comment: