Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Surprise Prayer

I have nun friends.  Women who are nuns who are my friends.  They are spectacular friends to have. They love to go out to dinner, they love to talk, they love to ask about your life, they love to tell you that you look great and that everything in your life is going to be alright. They also love a good laugh.

I have two really good nun friends.  One who lives in California and one who lives in Heaven.  I talk to both of them.

Last night, I called Herself, my nun friend who lives in California.  She's Irish. She's absolutely one of the funniest people I've ever met and she has an accent. Really, everything is funnier with an accent.

I asked Herself how her trip to Ireland was this summer and she said:

Oh, it was the best trip I've ever had . . . (pause) . . . I think . . . yes . . . (pause) . . . I think . . . (pause) . . . yes . . . it was for sure.

The best trip ever, Herself?

Yes, I think so, Megan.  Yes, for sure.

Are you sure, Herself?

I'm sure now, Megan.

We went on to talk about life and family and friends and the bartender at my corner bar who knows I like sauvignon blanc and pours me a glass when he sees me coming in. Herself told me that she used to like chardonnay but not anymore, it's too nutty or something, she couldn't quite remember exactly.  Now she likes sauvignon blancs.

At the end of our conversation, Herself said to me:

Megan, today I prayed to God for a surprise.  I love to pray to God for surprises. I love a good surprise. And what do you know, you called me! I had just walked in the door. I've been gone all day so any other time would not have been good. But you called me when I was home. What a joy! What a surprise! Thank you, Megan.

What a fabulous idea - pray to God for surprises!  I always seem to be praying to God for something specific. Some one, some thing, some wish, some need. I'm going to try out Herself's way - pray for a surprise! Who knows what will happen? How exciting! I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment