Friday, March 15, 2013

Holy Day of Green Obligation

Sunday is St. Patrick's Day. In my house, it is a holy day of obligation. I am sure Pope Francis I is already planning his sermon for the big occasion. I wonder if he'll dye his new white garb green! Or maybe he'll scratch the red shoes and wear green colored Pope shoes! One can only hope!

Husband and I now live in a town that has three Irish pubs, all in walking distance that are opening by 10:00am. It's gonna be a great day.

I am hoping I may even be lucky enough to find Beamish. Beamish is my favorite Irish Stout and it's now very difficult to find in the States. Wednesday night Husband and I met some friends for a beer at a pub in our town and I saw this sign. I screamed with delight, walked up to bar, and ordered a Beamish with a huge smile on my face. This is what I heard:

Oh, we don't have that beer.

SERIOUSLY? You have a GIANT mirrored sign with the words Beamish on it and you don't serve that beer?

No.

I'm sorry, but do you see that sign over there? It's huge!! You have to have that beer if you have a sign taking up that whole wall in your pub.

No. We don't anymore. Can I get you something else?

No.

Really?

And with a tear in my eye, I ordered some fancy cream ale thing. It was tasty but don't think that I didn't cry a little in it for my long-lost Beamish. Sigh.

And, can I just say, no bar or any other establishment should have a GIANT sign in their building and not serve what that sign advertises. I mean it's like putting a huge CUPCAKE sign in a 1st grade class room and then telling all the little, excited children, "Oh, sorry kids, we don't have cupcakes, I just thought the sign was cute."

CRUEL.




No comments:

Post a Comment